Monday, September 20, 2010

Summer's over, back to work

Well, it’s been interesting having the summer off instead of just the two weeks I had planned. I really did have some conclusions to that big investigative story I had written, but when I submitted the article to my editor, Carol, it wasn’t pretty.

“Call me right away before you post anything,” was the urgent message she’d left on my voice mail.

I had written conclusions for both ALOA (Associated Locksmiths of America) and for locksmiths in general. Carol felt the ALOA conclusions I wrote could be potentially libelous. Okay, so I guess I really didn’t have to state the obvious – that some of them can be a bunch of stinkers and maybe their members should consider voting them out of both the local and national organizations. Since the investigation was so well-documented, I believe it spoke for itself.

Instead of taking the time then to rewrite the conclusions article, I put it aside and did some ghost writing for my former publisher, David. After all, he did drive in from out-of-state and sit right in my office. Gotta take care of what’s in right front of me. I’d get back to the conclusion article soon enough, I thought.

The summer was busier than I expected and getting back to it just wasn’t that easy. Vacations, helping both sons move – one to Colorado to go to college, the other to another town closer to hubby and I, then the sad, but not unexpected passing of Will Leff, Carol’s husband of 52 years. We all needed some time off especially Carol. She’s in Colorado to visit family, friends and my son, and I promised to behave while she’s gone.

Tomorrow, I’ll post my revised conclusions article.

No comments:

Post a Comment